Frey Family

12 August 2007

Our Last Meal (Day #1)

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Today's main decision was where to eat our last meal . . . our last meal before leaving Southern California for 7 weeks, that is. Since we have given dozens of gift cards and taken many visitors and new seminarians to this particular place as part of the Southern California experience, many of you know immediately that we went to In-n-Out!

After a relatively mild summer in Southern California, we were hit with an almost overwhelming blanket of heat when we got out of the car after crossing into Arizona. We'd forgotten how warm the Arizona desert can be. Perhaps we had also forgotten how incredibly beautiful it is.

My heart sored as we drove along under soft blue skies with white puffy clouds. I looked across the miles of flat desert with shrubs rarely taller than two or three feet, and at one point as I scanned the entire 360 degree horizon, I realized that beyond the flat desert in every direction were craggy rock formations and jutting mountains. I marveled that God could make even what can at first glance seem like a barren desert into something with an amazing beauty all its own.

The day ended with a radiant Arizona sunset and a lovely visit with friends, Dave & Mary Ann Gallagher. The journey has begun. We're feeling blessed tonight!

P.S. In our rush to get out of the condo and to the ordination and worship yesterday morning, I left my buttercup hooded rain windbreaker and my snuggly fleece jacket. Maybe you always forget to bring something, aye? I'm not likely to need the fleece today, however, because it's supposed to hit 112!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:08 AM, Blogger PatsyJeanne said…

    Oh, I wish I was doing a trip....
    I think about you all during the day and pray for your safety.
    Lov and hugs PAtsy

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Mmmm... I would have chosen In & Out too! Its usually my first stop when we've gotten to Phoenix from our wanderings!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home