Frey Family

06 November 2008

I Cannot Believe I Did This!!! Aye, Chihuahua!

Mamma said there'd be days like this . . . but really!

The chilly (50 degree), sunny and clear morning began with a walk to Corner Bakery for coffee and a lovely cold oatmeal breakfast (Yum!) with a great friend. We had a good visit over our oatmeal then headed off for whatever else our days held (going to work for her, shopping at Trader Joe's and walking home for me).

All that sounds great until you hear that my friend got two parking tickets while we were at breakfast. TWO! Man, if that doesn't add insult to injury, what does?

Working around the house today, I was feeling so constructive. We're leaving for Sacramento tomorrow to be there to help with little Jon as Christy and Rich welcome a new little one into their family, so Neil and I have been getting ready to leave for that wondrous and special event. We're feeling pretty ready with the house cleaned, the car mostly loaded, and everything else set to go.

And then . . . oh, my gosh! Then in a moment of utter stupidity, I picked up two bottles of nail polish, walked quickly down the hall to put them into my purse so I'd be sure not to forget them, and dropped one, kicking it with my next step. Not so bad, right? WRONG! I'd inadvertently left the lid loose and nail polish was spraying all across the hallway onto . . . onto our brand new carpet!

Did we wait ten years for new carpet? You bet we did!

Have we had this lovely new carpet long? Nope, we have not! It was installed the first of August, if memory serves. We've been gone most of the time since then, so we've enjoyed this for about a month.

Did I spill clear nail polish? No, I did not!

Did I spill creamy-colored nail polish that would blend nicely into the carpet? No, I did not?

Did I spill the darkest nail polish I use? Oh, yes, I surely, purely did! Tender Rose -- only I wasn't feeling so tender at that moment in time, but more like an absolutely stupid, crazy, foolish clutz!

And then . . . I frantically fell to my knees, nail polish remover in hand, to begin trying to mop up the mess, and realized after it was too late that perhaps there are better ways to get nail polish out of a carpet than madly swiping the cloth with nail polish remover back and forth. Hindsight is a wondrous thing, but it comes too late, for the swiping motion, of course, smears that Tender Rose color across the carpet like an artist stroking a swath of paint across the canvas.

Did Neil yell and scream, rant and rave? No, he did not!

Did he thoughtfully get down on his knees and help scrub the carpet? Oh, yes, he did, all the while saying, "I don't think this is going to be as bad as you think it is?"

God bless that man! He waited ten years for new carpet, too, and he hardly expected it to get sprinkled with nail polish and baptized with nail polish remover.

When I ran out of nail polish remover pads and had emptied my current bottle of nail polish remover, I jumped into the van and drove to CVS to get more supplies: two more boxes of those pads and another bottle of nail polish remover.

And now, alas, the remover pads are dry, being resoaked numerous times, and the bottle is empty. If anyone lights a match anywhere nearby, the carpet will disintegrate. Maybe it will anyway, given how much nail polish remover it's got on it and how hard I've worked at rubbing it back and forth, round and round.

I'm also concerned about my lungs. Thankfully, I don't smoke as I'm sure right now I'd ignite -- a new form of internal combustion -- if a flame came within 10 yards of my being.

What I'm really thankful for is a patient, calm, wonderful husband who could have been so incredibly ugly about this whole fiasco, but who remained calm, helpful, and uncondemning.

I'm also thankful that this beautiful new carpet is not a solid-colored off-white, like the old one, but a flecked cream with touches of brown and a burnt red color. The Tender Rose blends in better than it would have with the old carpet, and in a crisis like this, you need to be thankful for mercies, large and small!

9 Comments:

  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Just Grandma said…

    I'm left speechless. I can so completely understand, for I did something so similar with our 3 month old carpet, many years ago. I lived with a yellow stain (that everyone was suspicious originated from our DOG) for 15 years. Don't ever put brown felt on a gray carpet, and let water seep through it. How did it go? Did most of it come out? I bet a rug cleaning company would have more ideas!

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Just Grandma said…

    PS. Just Grandma = Kathy Leasure

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Oh boy - well now it's "broken in" and the grandkids don't have to worry about making the first spill on the new carpet :D

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Patty said…

    Oh, Sara, what a great way to look at it. Sadly, I "broke" this in, and the new van as well, "kissing" another car in a parking lot gently with the front bumper. Sigh!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Natalie said…

    GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Thanks be to Neil for his calmness and assistance. Or maybe you were so freaked out that he didn't want to add insult to injury?

    Still, I'm sorry the Tender Rose made for such a thorny situation!

    I had oatmeal this very morning, and thought of you and Corner Bakery, so I smiled when I saw that's where you were. Love you.

     
  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger PatsyJeanne said…

    I want a picture....
    That is something I would do.
    I can not see you doing this.
    Ha...Patsy

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger katharine said…

    Can you cover it with a small throw rug? :) I can only imagine your frustration... thank goodness for a calm husband. :)

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Dear Patty,

    I just read your blog - you did a great job cleaning for I never would have guessed.

    True, Neil is a sweet and kind man. And bless you both for all your support of your daughter. Hardly surprising you were distracted as you were so excited preparing for the wonderous birth of Trisha Lynne.

    But sorry that silly mistake was so much work.

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Patty said…

    The good news? When we got back from Sacramento, dreading looking at the stain and trying to decide what I would try next, you really could not see it. Audrey stayed here while we were gone and never spotted the spot, so to speak. Glory, hallelujah!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home